...and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters. And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light.

-Genesis 1:2-3



Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Day One- Welcome to San Diego


Solana Beach


Day 1

Randy, Bekah and I flew direct from Milwaukee to San Diego. I got a lot of reading done, as well as a bit of writing. The airplane literally flew through the city, and we were so low to the ground it was as if we were threading between buildings. And I got my first glimpse of the harbor :) San Diego greeted us with sunshine above, a warm breeze on our faces and the slightest bit of haze. Aunt Shelly picked us up, and on the way back to her house we stopped at In & Out for some amazingly good burgers. I had heard the rumors of their delicious taste, and I actually got to try one for myself and was not let down. Uncle Dave hasn't changed much, despite a few more gray hairs combed in his hair. And my cousins have gotten so big now- ten and twelve, and while they're still kids, you can hold normal conversations with them. And they are so low-key and accommodating. Actually, everyone in Southern California is. At least those I've seen are. My aunt and uncle have a really cute house in Solana Beach with framed pictures of my cousins all over the place and subtle reminders they live a mile from the beach. Shell necklaces, junior lifeguard shirts, the smell of the sea- it all hovered around their home.

We stood around chatting until my aunt brought up the subject of the beach. My cousins are in this junior lifeguard program where for 3 1/2 hours every day for three weeks they learn how to swim in the ocean and do all sorts of games on the beach. She had to go pick them up and offered to go early so we could hang out down there if we wanted.

IF WE WANTED... what a silly thought. Of course we wanted to go see the famous Pacific Ocean everyone writes and sings and talks about. So we hopped in her car and made our way to the never ending staircase I mentioned in my last post, where we met the shore. Immediately, my feet fell into the sand and I felt my toes burning on the hot grains. It was like a heat massage.



My boogieboard and sandals. My sandals broke the first night we were there. It was devastating.


And the ocean-- simply amazing. To say it's huge would be an understatement, and the waves just come crashing in. There are a bunch of bluffs with condos and apartments perched on the top, stretching miles down the beach. I wonder how much those cost; Probably more than my life. Randy, Bekah and I waded around close to the shore, water brushing up against our feet and getting to know our skin. When my cousins got out of Junior Lifeguards, they led us further out into the Pacific for a boogieboarding lesson. At first I had no idea how to "catch a wave," but I eventually almost got the hang of it. You lay on a small board and try to turn into a wave as it is just breaking and ride it all the way to the shore.

The first time I caught it just right and flew through the water, it was the most amazing feeling, such a high and I thought that this was what it's all about-- working working working and failing as wave after wave rushes past, only to find that perfect one that allows you to climb on its back for a ride. I think at that point, I fell in love with California.

No comments:

Post a Comment