...and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters. And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light.

-Genesis 1:2-3



Sunday, July 12, 2009

All Around the Mulberry Bush

It’s a nice way to live, just taking what Nature is willing to give.
–Robert Frost, “Blueberries”


We went to visit my grandparents on the other side of town today. My ten-year-old brother and I spent most of our time wandering their acre picking wild berries. It was fantastic. He was so enraptured by the wild fruit growing on my grandparents' land, and appreciative that I was there with him to share in this sacred moment. My grandpa is a nature guru- he grew up on a farm and has worked in the soil with his hands more times than I've tied my shoelaces. He's a nature lover and has such a respect for his surroundings. I'm absolutely in awe of his knowledge of every tree and plant on his acre.


So my brother and I wandered down to the berry bushes and began plucking ripe black raspberries and mulberries. I honestly have never seen a mulberry before and never knew they grew on that bush. It reminded me of the nursury rhyme- "All around the mulberry bush, the monkey chased the weasel..." I couldn't figure out why that silly monkey was chasing the weasel, but today after tasting one of those berries I understood that he was trying to chase him away from the bush so the monkey could have all those mulberries to himself. Smart monkey.


When we had picked our fair share, and eaten way more than our share of those delectible treats right off the branches, my family was very happy to have a sweet snack while talking with Grandma and Grandpa. The happiest of them all, I believe, was my little brother. He sure had his fill of the harvest, and I'm smiling now, thinking of how much he is like my grandpa and me- we all share such a passion for the outdoors and the beauty and surprises God has given us.

No comments:

Post a Comment