...and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters. And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light.

-Genesis 1:2-3



Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Ask Me

This week has been trying. Ever since Sunday night, really, when I was up until midnight editing cookie pictures for Ms. Connelly's multimedia class for their project on Mom's cookies, then trying to figure out how to work one of the kid's jump drives, which would not for the life of me show up once the software was installed on my computer. Then I had to take my car in Monday morning because my heater wasn't working, but they called me and it wasn't blaring crazy sounds and was working when they tried it. I am not insane- it happens to me every time I get in my car. I told them to keep trying. It still didn't happen, so they ended up keeping it overnight to try again the next morning. Work was a pain, an absolute pain, and after I finally got home after working out and dropping off my checkbook with my dad, I realized I left both my garage door opener and my key at the car shop. Thank God Lemke had just gotten back from Nebraska and was there to let me in.

I was up late again, but for better reasons. I received some amazing gifts from my friend Debbie in Florida- beautiful photographs with calligraphy scriptures, greeting cards and uplifting verses. And I got a letter from my pen pal Lynn, which I was so excited to read. After I finished reading the letter, I just had some wonderful God time. That gave me peace to the end of the vengeance filled Monday.

But Tuesday was no better- almost worse at work, if that is possible. Crazy running around, getting home, staying up late again. But that's when God spoke to me. Again. Since Monday, I've been reading verses in Jeremiah, Zachariah and Matthew that pertain to how God wants me to ask Him for help, ask Him for dreams. I've always had trouble doing this; why should I, a lowly, sinful human, stand before the Creator Almighty and ask Him for anything? Isn't my ransom enough?

But for some reason He longs to be gracious to me. Wants to present me with presents to see my joy and heartfelt appreciation. So I asked Him on Monday night for what was in my heart. And I knew He heard me. Whether or not they are the answers I'm expecting, I do know that He will answer. I focused on His heart, answering mine.

All day yesterday I had this thought on my mind, and then the verse that says "Ask and it shall be given to you; seek and you will find; knock, and the door will be opened to you" resounded over and over. So last night I was doing my quiet time and was thinking about that verse in Matthew. I pulled out my journal and began to write, explaining how God was teaching me about asking this week. In the middle of my sentence, I glanced over at the next page and gasped, sucking in my breath so sharply I filled my lungs to capacity. There, at the bottom of the page, was Matthew 7:7-8. Exactly what had been flowing through my mind. Wow. I just love when He does that! I shouldn't be surprised with God calling to me anymore, yet each time it happens I have a trembling in my body and fill with awe struck wonder.

He is so good. So loving and personal. After seeing how He continually pursues me, how He yearns for me to know Him, how can I not take my requests to my Father, who craves no greater joy than to see His daughter rejoice?

My Wednesday is average, by human standards. Work still hounds me, I can't think past this present moment in time and I took my bitter pills this morning. But I don't have to let the day dictate my attitude. God has filled me with wonders anew; great is His faithfulness. When I discover this perspective, the day ahead looks pretty bright and bold.

No comments:

Post a Comment